Albert B. Ede (1893-1972) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Albert Ede, born March 8, 1893, in St. Louis, Missouri, was the adopted son of George A. and Mary Ede. He and his brother, George D. Ede, also adopted, owned the Cobden Machine Works, Inc., a metal fabrication shop started by their father in 1885. Albert Ede was a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Albert enlisted in the Army in August 1917 and was commissioned a second lieutenant. He attended Southern Illinois Normal University and is pictured in the 1918 Obelisk as “Lieutenant Albert B. Ede, Coast Artillery Corps, American Expeditionary Forces.” He served several years of active duty and 33 years in the Reserve Corps, rising to the rank of Colonel.
Colonel Ede was a graduate both of SIUC and Purdue University. Later he remained involved with Southern as a member of the SIU Athletic Council, SIU Alumni Association, and the SIU Foundation. Ede died in October 1972.