Southern Illinois University (Carbondale campus). Centennial Office. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Name: Southern Illinois University (Carbondale campus). Centennial Office.
Historical Note: The Centennial Office was established in June 1969 with Dr. Charles D. Tenney serving as General Chairman of Centennial Period Planning. Dr. Carroll L. Riley assumed the General Chairmanship in January 1970 and held this position until the Centennial Office ceased operations on June 30th, 1974. Because there was a five year span (1869-1874) between the chartering of Southern Illinois University and the actual beginning of classes, SIU's Board of Regents decided on a five year Centennial Period. Each year was to have a separate centennial theme, such as education, science, etc., with appropriate special events, scholarly meetings, programs, and concerts. The "themal year" approach was quite successful for the first two years of the Centennial Period. After that period budgetary considerations forced a cutback on Centennial spending and more emphasis was placed on the publication of a Centennial series of scholarly and popular books.