Tennyson Studio | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Tennyson Studio in Litchfield, Illinois was established shortly after the civil war by a gallery artist named Bacon. In 1898, Mr. Bacon's associate, Alfred Tennyson, purchased the studio. After Tennyson came John Murray, Herman Hagerdorn, and William Morton. The studio was most recently called Morton Studios, after Morton purchased it in 1955. Before the studio closed in 1984, it was estimated to be one of the oldest in the country in continuous operation.
Throughout its long history, the studio has had three locations in Litchfield. The first location was the second floor of the Sherman building on State Street across from the public library. Next, it combined with their gift shop a few blocks further north on State Street, which now houses the Tri County Beauty Academy. The final location was on the frontage road of Old Route 66 across from the airport.
Morton, William F., "Unintentional History Photographs of Litchfield." IcarbS 2.2 (1975): 119-120.
"William F. Morton Obituary." Plummer Funeral Home. Beyong Indigo Funerals. 09 June 2012.