Stanger, Betty L. (1920-2000) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Betty Lee (Stevenson) Stanger was born in Carbondale on August 6, 1920. For many years, she attended the First Presbyterian Church. Having earned a Bachelors of Education from Southern Illinois Normal University in 1942, she spent a year teaching in both Carbondale, Illinois, and Oak Ridge, Tennessee before moving to St. Louis, Missouri where she worked for four years. In 1948, Stanger began educating second and third grades at the Longfellow School in Peoria, Illinois. She stayed there for 16 years. Her career spanned 36 years. The last seven years were spent at the Lindbergh School. Betty Lee Stanger died March 8, 2000.
Betty married Eugene Stanger on December 25, 1952. He received a Bachelors of Education from the St. Cloud State University and a Master's of Library Science Degree from the University of Minnesota. He worked as a librarian at Peoria High School and as a principal at both Big Lake High School and the Roosevelt Military Academy in Aledo. He retired in 1977 along with his wife. His birthdate is June 9, 1916. He died October 4, 1987.
Betty's father, James A. Stevenson, worked for the Truax-Traer mine near Elksville as a welder. When he retired, he opened the Stevenson Motel in Carbondale in 1952.
Her brother-in-law, Lynn Culley, owned a service station in Carbondale. He also managed the Elk's Club for seven years. Lynn and his wife, Marnie, owned a house on New Thompson Lake in Carbondale near a house owned by the Stevensons.