First Baptist Church (Carterville, Ill.) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Name: First Baptist Church (Carterville, Ill.)
Historical Note: In 1886, Baptists in Carterville were meeting in the Presbyterian Church then located just east of the Post Office. Rev. Hugh McAlpin organized the First Baptist Church with twelve or fourteen members from the old Hurricane Missionary Baptist Church, located about two miles east of Carterville. Before the end of the year a new frame building had been completed at the present site. The church later became known for its music program with an eleven-piece orchestra and twenty-two-voice choir. Baptismal services were conducted at Zimmerman pond, then located between the current Dent and Zimmerman streets. Rev. Floyd Jent led an expansion program in 1948, when a concrete block addition was built and several pieces of property adjacent to the church building were purchased. Rev. C.R. Walker began a weekly newsletter, The Visitor, and led in a long-range building program for an educational wing, which was dedicated in 1957. The present sanctuary was dedicated on November 24, 1974, under the leadership of Rev. Joe Bob Pierce. The prayer Chapel was dedicated in 1984, and in 1988, Dr. Dwayne Sheumaker was called as pastor.