Shryock, Burnett H. (1903-1971) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Burnett Henry Shryock Sr. was born to Henry William Shryock and Jesse Burnett in 1903. His father joined the English faculty at Southern Illinois Normal University in 1894, and served as university president from 1913-1935. Burnett spent most of his life in Carbondale, Illinois and became a painter, educator, craft person, designer, and lithographer.
He received an AB degree from University of Illinois and an MA degree from the Teachers College at Columbia University. He also studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and the American Art Academy in Chicago. Shryock became an assistant professor of art at Southern Illinois Normal University in 1935 and became department chair in 1942. In September 1953, the departments of Art and Music were removed from the College of Vocations and merged into the Division of Fine Arts, over which Burnett Shryock served as acting director. In July 1955, the Division of Fine Arts was renamed the School of Fine Arts; Shryock was appointed the first Dean. The School of Fine Arts was merged into the College of Communications and Fine Arts in 1970, which later changed names to the College of Mass Communications and Media Arts in 1993.
Burnett Shryock married Mary Ann Hewitt and had three children. He died on January 31, 1971 in Carbondale, Illinois.