Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University

CONTACT

SIU.EDU

Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Collection Type

Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Division of Human Development. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center

Name: Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Division of Human Development.


Historical Note:

The Division of Human Development was created at the March 15, 1977 meeting of the Southern Illinois University Board of Trustees.  It was a unit within the College of Human Resources and consisted of the departments of Child and Family, Family Economics and Management, and Food and Nutrition.  At the time of creation, the Division of Human Development reported directly to Dean Stanley H. Smith of the College of Human Resources.  The combination of these departments brought together a concentration similar to the former Home Economics Master of Science Program.

The Division of Human Development traces its history back to the creation of the School of Home Economics at the June 29, 1956 meeting of the Board of Trustees.  The school initially consisted of the departments of: Clothing and Textiles, Food and Nutrition, Home and Family, and Home Economics Education.  To allow for the design of a dedicated home economics building, reviewing curricula, and assessing staff needs, the trustees decided for the new school to take effect no earlier than July 1, 1957.  The building, called the Home Economics Building, was completed in October 1959 and renamed Quigley Hall after Eileen E. Quigley at the September 8, 1977 Board of Trustees meeting.

The College of Human Resources was formed on July 1, 1973 as a response to pressure on the University for programs with a broad commitment to society.  This formation brought eleven units into one academic college.  The college consisted of three division.  The Division of Comprehensive Planning and Design included the departments of Clothing and Textiles, Design, and Interior Design.  The Division of Human Development included the departments of Child and Family, Family Economics and Management, and Food and Nutrition.  The Division of Social and Community Services included the departments of Black American Studies, Community Development, and Social Welfare.

Both the Division of Human Development and Division of Comprehensive Planning and Design were abolished at the September 13, 1984 Board of Trustees meeting.  Consequently, the Master of Science degree in Human Development was abolished; the Bachelor of Science in Child and Family was transferred to the College of Education; the Bachelor of Science in Consumer Economics and Family Management was transferred to the School of Technical Careers; and the Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition was transferred to the School of Agriculture.  The College of Human resources was later abolished at the July 1, 1989 Board of Trustees meeting.

Sources:

Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University.  Annual Report of the Board of Trustees, 1956-1957.  Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University.

Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University.  Annual Report of the Board of Trustees, 1976-1977.  Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University.

Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University.  Annual Report of the Board of Trustees, 1977-1978.  Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University.

Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois University.  Annual Report of the Board of Trustees, 1984-1985.  Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University.

RG 76-3 Campus News Service Historical Reference Files, Special Collections Research Center, Southern Illinois University Carbondale.

Note Author: Tony Bittle





Page Generated in: 0.075 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 2.87MB of memory. (Peak of 3.01MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign