Giant City State Park (Ill.) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Name: Giant City State Park (Ill.)
Historical Note: In 1927, the State of Illinois acquired more than 1,100 acres of land in Union and Jackson counties and dedicated the area as Giant City State Park. In 1936, the Civilian Conservation Corps completed construction of a lodge and 12 overnight cabins on the highest point in the park. Today, the park has grown to encompass 4,000 acres of spectacular countryside and the 110-acre Fern Rocks Nature Preserve.
Sources: Giant City State Park website