First Presbyterian Church (Carbondale, Ill.) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Name: First Presbyterian Church (Carbondale, Ill.)
Historical Note: The first sermon at the First Presbyterian Church of Carbondale was delivered in 1852, in an unfinished log cabin. By 1856, with the help of Daniel Brush, one of the founders of Carbondale, the church had found a new home at what is now 210 W. Monroe. On Sept. 24, 1859, Daniel and Julia Brush became members, along with eleven other Carbondale residents. Today the church continues in Carbondale and serves the community through local and international missions with Janice C. West as minister.