Tufts, James Hayden, (1862-1942) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
In 1891, Tufts went to Germany for post-graduate study and obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Freiburg in 1892. Following his studies in Germany, Tufts resumed his teaching career (1892) at the University of Chicago as an assistant professor of philosophy. He remained at Chicago's Department of Philosophy in various capacities for the next thirty-eight years. In 1894 he was promoted to associate professor and to professor in 1900, and from 1906 until his retirement in 1930, Tufts was chairman of the philosophy department.
For nearly half of his eighty years Tufts played an important part in the development of the philosophy department at the University of Chicago and in the creation of the "Chicago School of Instrumental Philosophy."
Tufts served as an editor of The International Journal of Ethics (1914-1934). He contributed also to a number of symposia and served as president of the American Philosophy Association (Western Division 1914, and Pacific Division, 1934).
James H. Tufts was married to Cynthia H. Whitaker in 1891 and had two children, Irene (Mead) and James Warren. Cynthia Tufts died in 1920; he later married Matilde Castro, a professor of education at Bryn Mawr. Tufts died in Berkeley, California on August 5, 1942, at the age of 80.