Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Name: Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship.
Historical Note: Officially established in 1955, the Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship began with as a small group. The 1960s and 1970s were periods of intense social action in Carbondale and around the country. The Fellowship was extremely active in all of the movements. In the 1960s, as the civil rights movement grew, members took part, and were perhaps the prime movers in integrating the segregated public schools, restaurants, and neighborhood housing. The fellowship continues to thrive and in 2004 completed a new building.