Carbondale Peace Center. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Name: Carbondale Peace Center.
Historical Note: Carbondale Peace Center (CPC) was established in 1973 in Carbondale, Illinois. Many of its members were students at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. CPC grew out of a fundraising project for the Indochina Relief Fund (IRF) during the first week of April 1973, which raised $1500 with an auction, book and record sales, campus collections, spaghetti supper and a folk concert. After this successful week of fundraising, key members of the fundraising committee decided to continue peace efforts by organizing the CPC as a clearing house of information on various topics including IRF, amnesty for war resisters, incorporating non-violent attitudes in school and at work, etc. The CPC organized action campaigns, study groups and training sessions, military counseling, and monthly vegetarian peace meals. Among its more prominent projects were a peaceful protest against the Central Intelligence Agency, "Alternative Christmas" and "Breaking Barriers in the Carbondale Community," a series of meetings for discussion on different issues co-sponsored with the Carbondale Interchurch Council. CPC communicated with local congressmen, representatives from President Gerald R. Ford's office, and numerous organizations at both the local and national levels, including the War Resisters League, Fellowship of Reconciliation, Indochina Peace Campaign, Catholic Peace Fellowship, American Friends Service Committee, Coalition to Stop Funding the War, Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors, Clergy and Laity Concerned, Peacemaker, and the Institute for World Order. Although CPC did not have any paid staff, they did have an office which was located at 913 S. Illinois, Carbondale, IL, and the home of the Student Christian Foundation, with which CPC was affiliated. Key members included Hugh and Linda (Lyn) Muldoon, John Cox, Gene DeSavouret, Steve Budas, Kathleen Takemoto and Terry Scannel. In about 1976 the CPC merged with a number of other local peace groups to form the Peace Coalition of Southern Illinois.
Sources: Carbondale Peace Center Records