Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Clinical Center. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
The University has provided area clinical services since 1936, when the Child Guidance Clinic was established under the direction of Wellington A. Thalman. After that time, clinics were developed as adjuncts of various academic departments, for example: a Speech and Hearing Clinic was developed in the Speech Correction Department, and a Psychological Clinic in the Psychology Department, etc.
The concept of separate and distinct clinics for each training program was held until the fall of 1958 when to prevent overlapping of space, time, equipment, and funds, clinical services were centralized with the establishment of Cooperative Clinical Services.
In 1961, Ã¢â‚¬Å“Cooperative ServicesÃ¢â‚¬Â was dropped from the name, so that the title became Clinical Center.
The Clinical Center is staffed by professional and supervised student diagnosticians, and counselors. It offers diagnostic and treatment services to faculty, staff, University students, and other individuals in the community. Cooperating in this clinic are the departments of Elementary Education, Guidance and Educational Psychology, Psychology, Secondary Education, Speech Pathology and Audiology, Physical Therapy, the Counseling Center, the Career Planning and Placement Center, and the Health Service.
Services include diagnostic assessment of psychological, speech, hearing, reading, and general educational problems, and therapy services. The Clinical Center Director reports to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Research (Services).