Southern Illinois University Foundation. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
The proposal for a Foundation for Southern Illinois Normal University as an agency to accept gifts for the institution was made to the Normal School Board on April 7, 1941. The need for such an agency had arisen the year before, when the senior class of 1883 and Reverend and Mrs. Alexander of Carbondale had planned to give two acres of land to the college for a specific purpose. The proposal was approved, and Southern Illinois Normal Foundation was incorporated on November 16, 1942 as a non-profit organization.
The Foundation was organized to serve three primary purposes:
- As an agency to receive gifts for the College.
- As a non-profit corporation that can enter into contracts, agreements, and business transactions which the State of Illinois cannot handle.
- As a means of expanding the University.
John S. Dill was appointed the first President of the Foundation. On July 17, 1947, after Southern Illinois University had been granted full University status, the name of the Foundation was changed to Southern Illinois University Foundation. The purpose of the Foundation remains essentially unchanged. The Director reports to the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement