Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Division of Continuing Education. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
The Division of Continuing Education combines the functions of Adult Education (non-credit vocational, technical, and general education) and Extension (off-campus courses, carrying college credit).
Extension courses were introduced at Southern Illinois University in 1930 under the direction of Russell M. Nolen, Department of Economics. In the spring of 1938, the Extension program was put under the supervision of Talbert W. Abbott. Abbott was succeeded in 1946 by Raymond H. Dey, who also served as Director of Placement. In the fall of 1949, the Division of Extension was given independent status and Dey was made full time Dean. In 1950 Dey introduced a conference service, a SpeakerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Bureau, and non-credit adult education courses.
When the Vocational Technical Institution came into being in 1950, it sponsored adult education jointly with the Division of Extension. In 1953 Adult Education was formally incorporated with the Vocational Technical Institute in the new Division of Technical and Adult Education. In October 15, 1971 the name of the Division of Extension and Adult Education was change to the Division of Continuing Education. See RG 42.
In 1971 adult education was moved from Technical and Adult Education to Extension to form the Division of Extension and Adult Education. (The Vocational Technical Institute, the only remaining unit of the former Division of Technical and Adult Education Division, was retitled the School of Technical Careers in July 1979).
Continuing Education was originally part of University Program but is now an independent unit reporting to the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs. The main programmatic functions of the Division of Continuing Education are conducting through: off campus credit programs, adult non-credit programs, and educational conference programs.