Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. College of Applied Sciences and Arts. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
The Division of Technical and Adult Education was authorized by the Board of Trustees in September 1953. Some types of adult and technical education had previously been given under different administrative responsibility. The College of Vocations had been set up in 1943 to satisfy a growing need for technical training in southern Illinois: It was renamed the College of Vocations and Professions in 1945. With a complete reorganization of the College of Vocations and Professions in 1953, a separate unit was set up for technical training, the Division of Technical and Adult Education. Ernest J. Simon was the first Dean.
On 9 February 1973, the Board of Trustees approved renaming the Vocational Technical Institute, hitherto a part of the Division of Technical and Adult Education, the School of Technical Careers. Arden L. Pratt served as the first Dean. As approved by the Board of Trustees on 15 December 1972, the School of Technical Careers included several divisions or areas of instruction: Allied Health and Public Services, Applied Technologies, Aviation Technologies, and Graphic Communications. Within each area were various programs and specialties. The name was changed again, on 24 September 1987, to the College of Technical Careers, and finally, on 11 July 1996, to the College of Applied Sciences and Arts. Components of the College of Applied Sciences and Arts now include:
Aviation Management and Flight
Health Care Professions
Information Management Systems
Technical and Resource Management
The College currently offers the Bachelor of Science as well as the Associate Degree.