Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University

CONTACT

SIU.EDU

Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Collection Type

Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.  Information Technology. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center

Name: Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.  Information Technology.


Historical Note:

The Computing facilities at Southern Illinois University began in 1948 with the acquisition of card-punch, card-sorting, and tabulating equipment by the Registrar’s Office.

In September 1950, a Statistical Service was established under the direction of Abraham Mark. The Statistical Service was responsible for processing student personnel records, inventory records, and other statistical computation. Additional machines were gradually procured by Statistical Service to meet increased information processing needs.

In the Fall of 1958, a Computing Center was established with primary responsibility for research and statistical studies requiring large-scale computational work. The IBM 650 was installed at the Computing Center in 1958 and was the University’s only electronic computer until 1962.

In July 1961 Statistical Services and the Computing Center were combined into a single organizational unit, the Data Processing and Computing Center. The Data Processing and Computing Center was established to coordinate and expand the functions of the former units. John W. Hambish was appointed director. Although not a part of Data Processing and Computing, the Office of Systems and Procedures worked with Data Processing to set up various automated systems for the University, as well as the automated circulation system for Morris Library.

In 1971 Data Processing and Computing was retitled Information Processing. The Office had two major units: Academic Computing and Management Systems. The Management Systems division incorporated routing administrative data processing and the system-creating function of Systems and Procedures.

Barry Bateman was hired as Director of Information Processing in 1975. The following year, the unit was retitled Computing Services or Office of Computing Affairs. The already existing units of Institutional Research and Instructional Research Evaluation were places under Computing Affairs. Computing Affairs is responsible to the President. Departments within the office are: Instructional Evaluation, Institutional Research, Academic Computing, and the Computing Center (composed of Computer Operations and Administrative Systems).




Page Generated in: 0.054 seconds (using 93 queries).
Using 2.05MB of memory. (Peak of 2.19MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-2.1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign