Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Office of Admissions and Records. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
During the early years of Southern Illinois University, the RegistrarÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Office was not a separate function handled by a full-time registrar. Charles J. Jerome, a member of the first faculty, was also the first registrar from 1874 until 1890. In addition, his duties included teaching Latin and Greek as well as serving as the first business manager.
John Hull served as the second registrar and as Vice President from 1891 until he became President in 1892. He was succeeded by Daniel Parkinson, who served as registrar and Vice Regent until 1897. In 1898, Henry William Shryock became registrar and Vice President. After Mr. Shryock was made President in 1913, Carlos Eben Allen served as registrar. When Carlos Eben Allen left the University in 1919, he was not replaced and the duties of registrar were performed by President ShryockÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s secretary until 1931.
In 1931, a separate RegistrarÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Office was established with Miss Marjorie Shank as the first full-time registrar. She held this position until 1952, when she returned to teaching.
In the fall of 1952 Robert McGrath was appointed as Registrar and Director of Admissions. By 1952 the RegistrarÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Office had become departmentalized with an admissions section, a recorder, and an examiner. By 1954 a Registration Center had been added to perform the class scheduling function. In 1956, class scheduling was assigned to the newly created Sectioning Center.
Under the Director of Admissions and Records, B. K. Browning, the Admissions and Records Office was divided according to function with Associate Directors heading the two divisions of Admissions and Records.