Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. College of Engineering. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Technology has been part of the curriculum of Southern Illinois University since 1908, when courses in manual arts were offered primarily for those interested in teaching in the public schools.
In 1945 technological training at Southern Illinois University had increased sufficiently to be considered an integral part of the College of Vocations and Professions. On July 1, 1955, the College of Business and Industry which included Industrial Education as one of the departments was formed. In 1956, Industrial Education was given independent status, responsible directly to the President. A bill was introduced and defeated in the legislature in 1957 to authorize the establishment of a School of Engineering, including the functions of Industrial Education and Applied Science.
In July 1959 the Department of Applied Science and Industrial Education became the School of Applied Science after another attempt to establish an engineering school had been defeated.
The School of Applied Science was renamed the School of Technology on July 1, 1961, with Robert O. Gallington as Acting Dean. Julian H. Lauchner was appointed Dean effective September 1, 1962. The areas of concentration included applied science, engineering technology, industrial education and industrial technology.
In the fall of 1970, the name of the School of Technology was changed to the School of Engineering and Technology. Also at this time, five distinct departments were created: Electrical Sciences and Systems Engineering (RG 23-2), Engineering Mechanics and Materials (RG 23-3), Occupational Education (formerly Technical and Industrial Education) (RG 23-7), Technology (Industrial Technology and Engineering Technology) (RG 23-4), and Thermal and Environmental Engineering (23-5).
The Occupational Education Department transferred to the College of Education in January 1973. In June 1975, the Board of Trustees authorized the establishment of a program leading to a Master of Science in Mining Engineering. On May 8, 1979, the Board of Trustees approved changing the title of the School of Engineering and Technology to the College of Engineering and Technology, and established the Department of Mining Engineering (RG 23-6).