Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. College of Business and Administration. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Business Education has been part of the curriculum for teacher training since the first session of Southern Illinois University classes. Bookkeeping was offered as one of the first classes. By 1913, a commerce course was offered as part of the curriculum. The course included bookkeeping, accounting, stenography, typing, and commercial law, under the supervision of Richard V. Black.
In 1943, when Southern Illinois University received university-status, Commerce and Industrial Education were included in the newly created College of Vocations. In 1945, the College of Vocations was renamed the College of Vocations and Professions, and included the departments of Business, Economics, and Industrial Education.
In 1956, Industrial Education was removed and given independent status. The name of the School of Business and Industry was changed to the School of Business, and the Department of Administration was divided into the departments of Accounting, Management, Marketing, and Secretarial Science. Henry J. Rehn was appointed the first Dean.
The School of Business changed its name to the College of Business and Administration, effective Fall Quarter, 1972, as a result of a resolution passed by the Board of Trustees. As of September 1982, the College of Business and Administration is made up of Acountancy, Administrative Sciences, Finance, and Marketing. The Department of Economics transferred to Liberal Arts in September 1973.