First United Presbyterian Church (Pinckneyville, Ill.) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Originally the Hopewell Presbyterian Church, this church is recognized as the first one built in Perry County, commencing in 1831. The Hopewell Church group had moved from Caldwell County, Kentucky to Perry County, led by James Steele.
The congregation was organized in 1832 and had about 40 members with Rev. Samuel Baldridge as pastor. By 1855, the number of parishioners had increased so that a new church was built, called the Four Mile Presbyterian Church, according to a genealogist, Erma Walsh, and the old church was left abandoned. It would later be called the First United Presbyterian Church of Pinckneyville.