Lions Club of Carbondale (Carbondale, Ill.) (1921-) | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Name: Lions Club of Carbondale (Carbondale, Ill.) (1921-)
Variant Name: Carbondale Lions Club
Historical Note: Lions Club International is a service organization founded by Melvin Jones in Chicago in 1917. The local Lions Club of Carbondale, Ill. was founded on July 15, 1921. The club meets weekly for lunch. Its officers include a president, one or more vice-presidents, secretary, treasurer, sometimes a recording secretary, several committee chairs, and several board members. The board of directors meets monthly. Originally and all-male club, the local club admitted its first woman member in January 1995. Service projects have included mosquito abatement in Carbondale; supplying street signs for Carbondale; eye health, inclucing glaucoma screening and providing eye glasses to the needy; providiing seeing-eye dogs to the blind; and sponsoring Carbondale's annual July 4 fireworks display. Fundraising has included broom and candy sales, semi-annual Pancake days, and painting fire hydrants for the city.
Sources: Liions Club of Carbondale records
Note Author: Walter D. Ray