Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. University Council. | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
A council of administration for the purpose of advising the President was first organized in 1936 under President Roscoe Pulliam. The first membership of the council consisted of those charged with chief administrative responsibility: Dean of Faculty, the Personnel of Teacher Training, the Director of Extension and the Head of the Education Dept. The council later included a member of the Faculty Senate and two representatives of the Student Council. The Advisory Council to the President continued its function until 1951, when a University Council was provided for in the Statutes of the Board of Trustees.
The purpose of the University Council was to help the President in formulating broad policies of the University. The University Council was the agency that the President referred recommendations from other councils and agencies.
The University Council was composed of: the President; four administrative personnel appointed by him; two members of the University faculty (not more than one from any major campus complex) appointed by the faculty council but not necessarily members of it; one member of the Graduate faculty appointed by the Graduate Council but not necessarily a member of it; and one member of the faculty elected by the faculty at large at each major campus complex.
At the Board of Trustees meeting of August 21, 1970, the By-laws were amended, substituting the University Advisory Council for the President. However when the By-laws were amended again on August 20, 1971 to reinstate the office of the President, the article governing the University Advisory Council was deleted thus abolishing the committee (see also RG 1-6 and RG 12-2).