The Varsity Theatre originally opened in 1940 with seating for 1,100. The theater was later twinned, and finally triplexed. The Varsity suffered a fire in 1981, but was remodeled and reopened. This Art Moderne-style movie house was closed by its last operator, Kerasotes Theatres, in May of 2003.
In early-2008, it was acquired from Kerasotes by the Stage Company of Jackson County, which plans to renovate and restore the historic Varsity Theatre as a venue for live theatrical productions.
Rights: To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the World Wide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult Special Collections Research Center to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.