Dr. Harold W. See played an important part in establishing Southern Illinois University's Edwardsville branch, and was named Chief Executive Assistant with the title of Vice President for SIUE in 1959. In 1960, however, Delyte Morris reassigned him to a position as a research professor. This reassignment sparked protests by students, faculty, and the community. The protests seen here took place outside the East Saint Louis Residence Center located on Ohio Avenue and Katherine Dunham Place (10th street). The building was demolished in 2005 and replaced with a High School.
Rights: To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the World Wide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult Special Collections Research Center to determine copyright holders for information int his collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
Acquisition Note: Source: Accession 1113, donated by Ruth E. Bernhard..
Preferred Citation: [Items/Box/Folder], Dr. Harold W. See Reassignment Protest photographs, Special Collections Research Center, Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Scope and Contents: These photographs document the community protests against the reassignment of Dr. Harold W. See. The protest occurred outside of the East St. Louis Residence Center, property of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.