Chemistry and Biochemistry Department | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
One box of bound volumes of printed materials relating to the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department.
The Chemistry Department was first organized as an independent unit in 1913, Under President Henry Shryock. George M. Browne, who had taught physical and chemical science courses since 1903, was appointed the first Chair. In 1927, James W. Neckers was appointed to the teaching staff and in 1928 he succeeded George M. Browne as head of the department. The Chemistry Department was included as one of the original components of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. James W. Neckers remained head of the department until 1965, when we was succeeded by R. E. Beyler.
At the April 16, 1971meeting of the Board of Trustees meeting, a resolution was proposed at the request of the Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences to change the name of the Department of Chemistry to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, in order to more accurately reflect the functions of the department. The resolution passed. The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry was one of the six original components of the College of Science, established in January 1973.