Effective July 1, 1973, the Small Business Institute (RG 19-8-2) and the Business Research Bureau (RG 19-8-1) merged into the Center for Research and Services.
Established July 1, 1958, the primary purpose of the Business Research Bureau was to make scholarly information available to the local businesses.
The Small Business Institute was stablished in 1954 to develop executive training for small business. Its functions
included a degree-granting program, assistance to area businesses, and educational programs designed to benefit business groups. Ralph Bedwell was appointed director. Staff consisted of members of educational units who contributed to the program, and adjunct professors or research associates drawn from qualified experts. (Note: Not to be confused with Small Business Development Center at Southern IL Research Park, on Pleasant Hill Road.) Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is administratively under OERD, the Office of Economical and Regional Development. For SBDC, see RG 75-11.
The Director of the Small Business Institute was advised by a council (RG 19-8-3) consisting of the President or a representative as Chair, and representatives from business, industry, labor, law, agriculture, banking, and education. These were named by the President after consultation with leaders in these fields and with appropriate members of the University staff.