The Rehabilitation Institute was authorized in May 1957, and activated the following September with Guy A. Renzaglia as Director.
The functions of this unit are instruction and service. Among the service programs are coordinated services to students with special physical needs, social and recreational activities for physically handicapped students, and work with the Cooperative Clinical Center. The Rehabilitation Institute also undertakes research and provides consultative services. The Institute offers both a Masters and a Ph.D. program. When the College of Human Resources was formed in 1973, the Rehabilitation Institute was one of its original components.