Scope and Contents: The Graduate School was provided for in the Bylaws and Statutes of the Board of Trustees for the year ending June 30, 1951. Willis G. Schwartz was appointed the first Dean. The Graduate School organizes and supervises graduate work, and facilitates research. In 1943, a Graduate Studies Committee was created to handle graduate studies for teachers. From 1944 until 1948, work could be taken toward a Master of Science in Education. Additions to the program include the Master of Arts (1948), the Master of Fine Arts (1952), Specialist's Certificate in Education (sixth year program) (1953), Ph.D. Program (1955), and Speech Pathology (1959).