Litchfield, Illinois photograph collection, circa 1901-1921
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: This collection consists of 8x10 glass plate negatives, photographic prints, and copy film negatives documenting everyday life in Litchfield, Illinois circa 1901-1921.  The collection depicts life in a small midwestern town in the early 20th century.  The scenes photographed include Litchfield High School athletics, theater and musical groups and performances, and various organizations such as the Art League and the Fire Department. Also documented are Litchfield family portraits, automobiles and trains, building construction, and street views of the downtown area. Buildings such as the library, post office, and various houses and churches are also included, as well as interiors of stores and businesses.
Held at:
Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
605 Agriculture Dr.
MC 6632
Carbondale, IL 62901
Phone: 618-453-2516
Fax: 618-453-3451
Email: speccoll [at] lib.siu.edu
Record Series Number: 2/1/PH 07
Created by: Tennyson Studio
Volume: 2.5 Cubic Feet
Acquired: 03/18/1973.
Arrangement: This collection is arranged into Three series: 1. Glass Plate Negatives; 2. Prints and Copy Negatives; 3. Oversize Glass Plates and Prints. Within the first two series, the photographs are arranged by subject in this order: athletics, performances, people, automobiles and trains, construction, streetviews, buildings, and interiors.
Biographical Note for Tennyson Studio :

Tennyson Studio in Litchfield, Illinois was established shortly after the civil war by a gallery artist named Bacon. In 1898, Mr. Bacon's associate, Alfred Tennyson, purchased the studio. After Tennyson came John Murray, Herman Hagerdorn, and William Morton. The studio was most recently called Morton Studios, after Morton purchased it in 1955. Before the studio closed in 1984, it was estimated to be one of the oldest in the country in continuous operation.

Throughout its long history, the studio has had three locations in Litchfield. The first location was the second floor of the Sherman building on State Street across from the public library. Next, it combined with their gift shop a few blocks further north on State Street, which now houses the Tri County Beauty Academy. The final location was on the frontage road of Old Route 66 across from the airport.

Access Restrictions: Unrestricted access.
Subject Index
American Radiator Company
Business enterprises - Illinois - Litchfield
Litchfield (Ill.) - History
Litchfield (Ill.) - Social life and customs
Genres/Forms of Material
Litchfield (Ill.) - Photographs
Photographs
Languages of Materials
English [eng]
Rights/Use Restrictions: To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the World Wide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult Special Collections Research Center to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
Physical Access Notes: Use copies have not been made for the glass plate negatives at this time.  Researchers must contact repository in advance for access to these materials.
Acquisition Notes: Accession 241, donated by William Morton
PreferredCitation: [Item], Litchfield, Illinois photograph collection, Special Collections Research Center, Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Finding Aid Revisions: The 1973 inventory was re-typed in 2003.  The arrangement and description was revised by Melanie Bilbrey in March 2015.