Art was taught at Southern Illinois Normal University as early as 1882, when Miss Mary Alice Raymond was appointed as the first art instructor. In 1894, Matilda Salter became head of the Art Department.
In 1917, Gladys P. Williams became responsible for art courses, and was officially made head of the department in 1942. The Art Department became a unit of the College of Vocations and Professions in 1944, and then a unit of the New Division of Fine Arts in 1953. In 1955, the department became one of the original components of the School of Fine Arts, with Robert McMillan as head.
In 1970, when the School of Fine Arts merged with the School of Communications it was recommended that the Art Department, because of the size and scope of its programs, be designated as the School of Art. (Board of Trustees Minutes, March 20, 1970).
The majority of the collection currently relates to the Cardboard Boat Regatta competition, an annual event wherein students design cardboard boats and race them on the Campus Lake
Box 1: Jed Jackson, 1955-1965, 1991-1994
Box 2: R. Buckminster Fuller
Box 3: NASA info, C.A.A. info of BFA, c. 1980's-1990's
Box 4: Cardboard boat Regatta pictures, other photos, and registration, 1975-76, 1988-89, 1993
Box 5: Cardboard Boat Regatta Class 1
Box 6: Cardboard Boat Regatta Entrants and timesheets, c. 1970's-1980's
Box 7: Cardboard Boat Regatta Memorabilia, c. 1970's-1980's
Box 20: Self Study Materials 1982-84, SoAD Goals and Accomplishments 1981-1993, 1994-2000, 1982-1984, 1981-1993, 1994-2000
Box 21: Good Luck Glove Building purchase 1976-1986, NASAD Self Study 1995, 1976-1986, 1995
Box 22: NASAD Materials 1982-1995, Curriculum planning 1985-1986, 1982-1995
Box 23: Application for NASA Accreditation 1978, SoAD Self Study 1989-1990, Quigley Lab 1993-1996, 1978, 1989-1990, 1993-1996
Box 24: Printed Materials, 1977-2004