English Department Serials (Grassroots, Language and Style) & English Department | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
Scope and Contents: In 1874, English instruction was the responsibility of two members of the first faculty: James H. Brownlee, who taught literature, and Martha Buck, who taught Grammar and Etymology. In 1894, William Shryock was employed to teach Rhetoric and English Literature as well as chemistry and geology. In 1915, Shryock was designated as head of the English Department. In addition to his responsibilities as President, Shryock continued as head of the English Department until 1922, when the responsibility was delegated to Emma Bowyer. In 1947, William H. Schneider, who served in the capacity for seventeen years, succeeded Emma Bowyer as Chairman.