Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. College of Mass Communication and Media Arts | Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center
In 1952, the departments of Journalism and Speech were removed from the then existing College of Vocations and Professions and became components of a new Division of Communications. In April 1955, the Division of Communications was officially authorized as the School of Communications, with the departments of Speech and Journalism as the original components. In June 1956 the School of Communications was reorganized to include Journalism, Speech, Printing and Photography, Radio-Television, Speech Correction, and Theater. The School of Communications was organized for the study of mass media communication, to conduct research, and to serve as an area consultant in communications. C. Horton Talley was the first Dean.
In September 1953, the Departments of Art and Music were removed from the College of Vocations and Professions and made components of a tentative new Division of Fine Arts, with Burnett H. Shryock as acting Director. In July 1955, the Division of Fine Arts was renamed the School of Fine Arts; Burnett H. Shryock was appointed the first Dean. Art and Music were the original departments of the new school. In 1956, the Design Department was added to the School of Fine Arts, and in 1959, the University Galleries was approved as part of the school of Fine Arts.
In 1970, the College of Communications and Fine Arts was formed from the School of Communications and the School of Fine Arts pursuant to the Board of Trusteesâ€™ action at its March 20, 1970 meeting. Herbert L. Fink was the first Dean of the College. The College was composed of the following units: School of Art, School of Journalism, School of Music, and the Departments of Speech Pathology and Audiology, Speech (Speech Communication), Cinema and Photography, Radio-Television, and Theater. The Design Department became a separate entity until it joined the College of Human Resources. University Galleries remained a part of the School of Art until it joined the University Museum in 1975 to become University Museum and Galleries. In July 1993, the College of Communications and Fine Arts was abolished by action of the Board of Trustees (July 7, 1993) and the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts was created.