By Dustin Witsman
Title: Henry Miller Collection, 1965-1978
ID: 1/1/MSS 263
Primary Creator: Miller, Henry, (1891-1980.)
Extent: 2.0 Boxes
Arrangement: Arranged in alphabetical order by title.
Date Acquired: 05/20/1999
Subjects: Authors, American - 20th century, Miller, Henry, 1891-1980
Forms of Material: Correspondence., Miller, Henry, 1891-1980 - Correspondence, Writings.
Languages: English, French
Scope and Contents of the Materials
The Henry Miller collection consists of correspondence, typescripts and holograms from 1965 to 1978. Of note are various revisions of the "Twelve Months of Love" which includes artwork and the French translation of "Insomnia ou LaDiable en Liberte."
Henry Valentine Miller (December 26, 1891 - June 7, 1980), was an American writer and painter. He is known for breaking with existing literary forms and developing a new sort of "novel" that is a mixture of novel, autobiography, social criticism, philosophical reflection, surrealist free association, and mysticism, one that is distinctly always about and expressive of the real-life Henry Miller and yet is also fictional. His most characteristic works of this kind are Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn, and Black Spring. He also wrote travel memoirs and essays of literary criticism and analysis.His daughter, Valentine Miller lives today on the Monterey Peninsula.
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the World Wide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult Special Collections Research Center to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
Purchased from Apfelbaum.
Miller's papers were donated to the UCLA Young Research Library Department of Special Collections.
[Item], Henry Miller collection, Special Collections Research Center, Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Box and Folder Listing Browse by Box:
- Box 1
- Folder 1: Correspondence to and from Georges Belmont and Henry Miller, 1971-1973
- Folder 2: "Insomnia ou LaDiable en Liberte" by Henry Miller
- Includes handwritten notes
- Folder 3: "The Firecrakers versus the Bomb"
- Folder 4: "Harolde Ross of Blue Earth"
- Includes reviews
- Folder 5: "An Open Letter to Stroker"
- Folder 6: "Preface to 'Book of Nudes'" by Helmut Lander, 1965 December 6
- Folder 7: "Preface to Conversations with Pisacco"
- Folder 8: "Preface to Ecce Homo by George Grosz"
- Folder 9: Untitled manuscript
- Folder 10: "Preface for Twelve Months of Love", 1968 August 22
- Folder 11: Research for Twelve Months and Shunga, 1968
- Folder 12: "Twelve Months of Love" for Playboy, 1970 December 3
- Folder 13: Bradley Smith, "The Twelve Months of Love" (Erotic Prints)
- Folder 14: "Twelve Months of Love"
- Folder 15: Plexus notes by Miller