Although Women’s Intercollegiate Athletics has been a program at SIU since 1940, it seems to be a late bloomer. Relatively little can be found about its early history, so it is assumed that the women’s program is similar to the Intercollegiate Athletics Program for Men in that it was once a part of physical education in the College of Education, and became a unit responsible to the Vice President for University Relations. In 1981 it was transferred to the Office of Student Affairs. Charlotte West was the director. Author: Southern Illinois University Facts, 1975
Rights: To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the World Wide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult Special Collections Research Center to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
Acquisition Note: Source: Accession 8, donated by Women's Intercollegiate Athletics on an unknown date..
Preferred Citation: [Item], Women's Athletics Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Southern Illinois University Carbondale.