Became part of College of Liberal Arts July 1, 1993.
The Music Department was formed in 1902; vocal music had been taught since 1883.
The Music Department was one of the components of the College of Vocations and Professions in 1944. In 1953, it became a part of the Division of Fine Arts and in 1955 of the School of Fine Arts. The Department of Music was designated the School of Music in 1970. (Board of Trustees Minutes, March 20, 1970).
In addition to regular instruction, the School directs or has supported: The University Band (20-9-4), University Choir (RG 20-9-3), Madrigal Singers (RG 20-9-5), Glee Club (RG 20-9-8), Chamber Oratorio Chorus (RG 20-9-6), and Marjorie Lawrence Opera workshops and productions (RG 20-9-2). The Department has also staged annual performances of Handel's Messiah and the outdoor spectacular Spring Music Festival.
Series 1: Black Music Research (INACTIVE)
Series 2: Marjorie Lawrence Opera Theater and Workshop (INACTIVE)
Series 3: University Choir / University Chorus
Series 4: University Band
Series 5: Madrigal Singers
Series 6: Chamber Oratorio Chorus
Series 7: Collegium Musicum
Series 8: Men's Glee Club
Series 9: SIU Symphony Orchestra (1902 - )
Series 10: Spring Music Festival
Series 11: Beethoven Society for Pianists
Series 14: Southern Illinois Children's Choir
Box 1: Music Programs, 1943-1967
Box 2: Music Programs, 1967-1979